Monday, May 22, 2006

Zoo Watercolors


I like to take a small watercolor set to the LA Zoo every now and then and get down some gestural images. Contrary to asssumption, though, i tend to use a flat one-inch wide brush. I find that this brush makes you choose your images and strokes very carefully, while at the same time forcing you to act quickly and decisively. In the end, working this way has helped me not only see the subject's form and weight better, but also how light and color play off of the animal.

Over time, I'll try to post as many of these as possible, to give you some furthre ideas of not only how I work, but of how an image can be captured in a very short time. Enjoy.

9 comments:

Jose Saenz said...

Wow nice studies, man. If feels like something out of a dream....very nice.

David Zweig said...

hey thanks mojo! yeh, i try to go not care as much about the colors i sometimes use, and work more on just conveying the idea. thanks fer visitng!

Patrick said...

Great work you have posted here David! Thanks for stopping by my blog, good to know that someone is seeing what I post! I enjoyed looking at your artwork, excellent stuff across the board!!

David Colman said...

fantastic David!!!! Nice rhino head...u continue to amaze me....maybe I need to not put out a book now....
well designed

Chrissie A said...

Beautiful watercolor work!

Marmax said...

That flamingo is especially great! Get that thing framed. :)

David Zweig said...

wow hey thanks everyone...can't tell you how much i appreciate your feedback. it's nice to know i'm not wastin' too much time here. :)

MikeS said...

These are beautiful! I may have to try something like this next visit to the zoo!

Thanks for stopping by my blog as well and for your comment. Appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»